Originally Aired Tuesday, May 1, 2006
This week on TechnologyTips Mondays: Spyware, Scotts and firewalls.
Every Tuesday I appear on AM 640 Toronto (640 AM) on The Stafford Show. Mike Stafford is a good friend and long time host on the station and I started doing 30 minute live tech help calls (no prep, seat of the pants) with him in early 2005, then I was forced to take a break because of my schedule, but now I am back.
If you listen live on the Internet, the show airs Tuesdays at 6:30 PM Eastern Time.
- Ben’s got a plethora of anti-spyware programs but still has pop-ups. Andy gives him the magical dosage to cure spyware.
- Scott’s firewall gets in the way of files larger than three or four MB.
- Mike’s got weird problems with SpyBot not catching any spyware! What could it be? Possibly your anti-virus…
- Another Scott doesn’t like Mozilla Firefox. Ok, It’s not perfect, but it’s still much more secure than Internet Explorer.
- The virus honeymoon is over for Macs.
- Speaking of viruses, Sue’s family computer got fried by quite a few. $300 later, she’s wondering what sort of firewall she needs.
- Ben’s patience pays off and he win’s a copy of Andy Walker’s great book, the Absolute Beginners Guide to Security, Span, Spyware and Viruses.
Shownotes by Maurice Cacho
Also, be sure to check out LabRats, Andy’s podcast about technology you already own. Watch it whenever you like.