Question: Our Intranet contains some files with the .doc and .xls extensions. When Microsoft Internet Explorer displays these files it uses a viewer in the browser. We would like to open a window and use Microsoft Word or Excel program to display these files. Is there any way to set this up? –DAO
Answer: To configure Internet Explorer to open Office files in the appropriate program instead of the browser, follow the steps below.
- In Windows 95 and/or Windows 98, double-click the My Computer icon.
- On the View menu, click Options (or Folder Options).
- Click the File Types tab. In the Registered File Types box, click the specific Office document type (for example, Microsoft Excel Worksheet), and then click Edit.
- In Internet Explorer 3.01, 3.02, or 3.02a, uncheck the box next to Open Web Documents In Place. In Internet Explorer 4.0, 4.01, or 5, uncheck the Browse In Same Window box.
- Finally click OK to finish.